Summer time is officially here.
With all the benefits that come from eating fish, thought we’d talk about how to get the best fish for your money.
Debbie & I love eating fish, probably eat more fish and anything else.
Here are 5 tips for fish !
1. We are fortunate to live close water, but you may not be so lucky. So it’s good to know that Flash Frozen Fish is almost as good as fresh. The catch (get it, the catch...) is, it needs to be frozen within 12 hours of coming out of the water. Flash Frozen can actually be healthier than some fresh fish. Most "Fresh Fish" has been sitting around for way too long. Remember, the fresher the better.
2. If you are buying fresh fish, you need to know two things. Who your buying from and “When did you get this?” The answer you’re looking for is “today”. Plan on cooking it the same day you bought it otherwise, why spend extra money for fresh fish?
3. Any fish you buy should pass the Sight and Sniff Test. Make sure that it looks shinny and has a nice luster, it shouldn’t look dull or damaged. If is smells fishy, it’s old and it's going to taste, just like it smells! It should smell like where it came from, the sea.
4. You don’t need anything added; make sure it's not loaded with salt or artificial colors. Check the label on packaged fish and look for added brine.
5. Yes we like fried fish, but it completely ruins the nutritional value. Loading it down with things like butter or cream isn’t much better. There are lots of wonderful recipes out there to bake, broil, and grill it. A quick internet search will turn up literally thousands, so experiment and find a new favorite recipe.
Now that it’s grilling time, here is one of my favorite ways to make a quick simple meal. Cut a lemon in thin slices. Lay them on a piece of foil, then put your fish on top and add some spices, lemon juice and a little olive oil. Seal and throw it on the grill for a quick tasty and nutritious meal.
All the best,
Lou & Debbie